National Cookie Day, celebrated on December 4, is an especially sweet holiday for DoubleTree by Hilton. The brand is famous for its proud tradition of greeting guests with its signature, warm DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie at check-in, symbolizing a warm welcome and comfortable stay.
To celebrate National Cookie Day, reach into the jar and indulge in some delicious bites of info about the DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie. You’re also invited to bake your own cookies with the official recipe, whether you’re celebrating National Cookie Day or looking for some inspiration just in time for holiday baking. Tins of pre-baked cookies are also available as well for a thoughtful gift.
Nibble on some numbers
We’d never sugar-coat the figures. Here are the numbers behind the sweet treats that everyone loves…
- 483 million DoubleTree chocolate chip cookies have been given out to date
- 30 million DoubleTree chocolate chip cookies are consumed each year
- 1.2 million pounds of chocolate chips are used each year to bake DoubleTree chocolate chip cookies
- 30 chocolate chips are found in an average DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie
- 2 ounces is the approximate weight of each DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie
- More than 615 DoubleTree by Hilton hotels in 50 countries and territories are serving the DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie to guests
Baked to perfection: a timeline of success
DoubleTree by Hilton didn’t invent the chocolate chip cookie — the brand just perfected it. Here’s how and when…
- 1986: DoubleTree by Hilton introduced the signature cookie amenity to guests as a way to build brand loyalty through a nightly turn-down service.
- 1995: The warm DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie was transferred to front desks, illustrating and reiterating the brand’s warm welcome.
- 2017: DoubleTree by Hilton introduced an annual Cook(ie) Book around National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day (Aug. 4) that featured DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie-inspired recipes from its hotels around the world, beginning with We Have Cookies.
- 2018: The second Cook(ie) Book, Start with Cookies, was released.
- 2019: The DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie became the first food baked in space inside a prototype oven designed to make long-duration space travel more hospitable. Also, the third Cook(ie) Book, Mission: Cookie, was released.
- 2020: DoubleTree by Hilton shared the official bake-at-home recipe for the brand’s beloved and delicious DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie, so at-home bakers could create the warm and comforting treat in their own kitchens.
Check out these and other sweet statistics on our cookie fact sheet.
DoubleTree Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
To further celebrate National Cookie Day, here’s a fun way to satisfy your sweet tooth. Until you can enjoy a cookie in one of our hotels, you’re invited to create the warm and comforting treat in your own kitchen with the DoubleTree chocolate chip cookies recipe:
Ingredients (makes 26 cookies)
- ½ pound butter, softened (2 sticks)
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cinnamon
- 2 2/3 cups Nestle Tollhouse semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 3/4 cups chopped walnuts
- Cream butter, sugar and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, vanilla and lemon juice, blending with mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then medium speed for about 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy, scraping down bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, add flour, oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, blending for about 45 seconds. Don’t overmix.
- Remove bowl from mixer and stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Portion dough with a scoop (about 3 tablespoons) onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper about 2 inches apart.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and the center is still soft.
- Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet for about 1 hour.
Cook’s note: You can freeze the unbaked cookies, and there’s no need to thaw. Preheat oven to 300°F and place frozen cookies on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake until edges are golden brown and the center is still soft.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company with a portfolio of 18 world-class brands comprising 7,000 properties and 1.1 million rooms, in 122 countries and territories. Dedicated to fulfilling its founding vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality, Hilton has welcomed more than 3 billion guests in its more than 100-year history, earned a top spot on Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For list and been recognized as a global leader on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices for five consecutive years. Hilton has introduced several industry-leading technology enhancements to improve the guest experience, including Digital Key Share, automated complimentary room upgrades and the ability to book confirmed connecting rooms. Through the award-winning guest loyalty program Hilton Honors, the 139 million members who book directly with Hilton can earn Points for hotel stays and experiences money can't buy. With the free Hilton Honors app, guests can book their stay, select their room, check in, unlock their door with a Digital Key and check out, all from their smartphone. Visit stories.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.
About DoubleTree by Hilton
DoubleTree by Hilton is a fast-growing, global portfolio of more than 640 hotels with more than 145,800 rooms across 52 countries and territories. For more than 50 years, DoubleTree by Hilton has continued to be a symbol of comfort for business and leisure travelers around the world, from welcoming guests with its signature warm DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie, to serving the local community. DoubleTree by Hilton offers contemporary accommodations and amenities, including unique food and beverage experiences, state-of-the-art fitness offerings and meetings and events spaces. Experience a positive stay at DoubleTree by Hilton by booking at doubletree.com or through the industry-leading Hilton Honors app. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits. Learn more about DoubleTree by Hilton at stories.hilton.com/doubletree, and follow the brand on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.