MCLEAN, Va. – In recognition of Earth Week, Hilton is marking a year of significant progress towards its Travel with Purpose 2030 Goals by activating its global team member community to reduce its environmental impact and preserve the beautiful destinations that host Hilton properties around the world.
Travel with Purpose is Hilton’s global environmental, social and governance (ESG) strategy that aims to drive responsible travel globally. Announced in 2018, Hilton’s ambitious 2030 goals are supported by emissions targets validated by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), water and waste reduction targets as well as social impact targets aligned with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Travel with Purpose guides Hilton’s efforts to reduce its emissions in line with climate science, create engines of opportunity within its communities and continue to operate with accountability, integrity and transparency.
Hilton is proud of its progress toward these goals, which it recently shared in its latest Travel With Purpose report, including:
- A commitment to new, more ambitious science-based emissions targets validated by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi);
- Continued to reduce carbon emission intensity (44%), water intensity (38.1%) and landfill waste intensity (57.6%) among its hotels globally;
- 5,500+ hotels partnered with soap recycling organizations to donate 2.3 million bars soap to those in need;
- Established LED bulbs as a global brand standard for new builds and existing buildings across all brands;
- Earned inclusion on the World and North America Dow Jones Sustainably Indices, S&P Global Sustainability Yearbook and earned an EcoVadis Gold Medal in recognition of its sustainability achievements.
- Created more than 677,000 learning and career growth opportunities against its 5 million commitment;
- Meaningfully impacted more than 2,700,000 community members through local support, disaster relief efforts and economic opportunities;
- Donated 344,958 volunteer hours in 2022;
- Reached more than 78,000 refugees since 2015 through volunteering, in-kind donations, purchasing, training, shelter and employment opportunities.
- Partnered with cross-industry networks like the Sustainable Hospitality Alliance and the World Travel & Tourism Council;
- Committed to grant $500,000 to the American Hotel and Lodging Association Foundation’s No Room For Trafficking (NRFT) Survivor Fund over the next three years; and
- Invested in two Fifth Wall climate technology funds that aim to decarbonize the global real estate sector.
Hilton is committed to tracking and transparently reporting on its progress towards its Travel with Purpose 2030 Goals by utilizing LightStay, Hilton’s award-winning platform for environmental and social reporting that enables Hilton properties to measure and manage energy, emissions, water, waste and social impact. Through LightStay, Hilton has achieved more than $1 billion worth of cumulative savings in energy costs since 2009.
In recognition of Earth Week, the Hilton Global Foundation, Hilton’s primary philanthropic arm, awarded more than $20,000 in grants towards local organizations advancing Hilton’s environmental goals through destination stewardship and climate action. Nominated by Hilton team members, these organizations will utilize Hilton Global Foundation contributions to launch volunteer efforts in their local communities:
- In partnership with youth volunteer organization Toplum Gönüllüsü, Hilton Istanbul Bomonti plans to build a lavender farm in the southern Türkiye region of Hatay, providing employment opportunities while teaching sustainable agriculture practices to community members impacted by recent earthquakes;
- Team members from Hilton Garden Inn Avondale, in collaboration with the Avondale Youth Advisory Commission, aims to support and beautify the local Tres Rios Wetlands in Avondale, Arizona through trail maintenance, litter disposal and other beautifying projects.
- As part of its long-standing partnership with Oz Harvest Australia, Hilton Brisbane plans to use grant funding to purchase meals as well as compostable containers and cutlery for those in need.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Seychelles Allamanda Resort & Spa plans to continue its partnership with The Ocean Project Seychelles to clean up local beaches with students from nearby communities.
The Hilton Global Foundation recently released its inaugural Impact Report, showcasing the impact of nearly $2.3 million donated in 2022 to organizations working to build a healthy, sustainable planet and resilient communities for future generations. Since 2019, The Hilton Global Foundation has awarded more than $8 million in grants, donated over 18 million pounds of food to communities in need, meaningfully impacted over 6.7 million people and restored over 225,000 acres of land. More information about the efforts of the Hilton Global Foundation can be found at https://hiltonglobalfoundation.hilton.com/.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company with a portfolio of 22 world-class brands comprising nearly 7,400 properties and more than 1.1 million rooms, in 124 countries and territories. Dedicated to fulfilling its founding vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality, Hilton has welcomed more than 3 billion guests in its more than 100-year history, earned a top spot on Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For list and been recognized as a global leader on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices for six consecutive years. Hilton has introduced several industry-leading technology enhancements to improve the guest experience, including Digital Key Share, automated complimentary room upgrades and the ability to book confirmed connecting rooms. Through the award-winning guest loyalty program Hilton Honors, the more than 173 million members who book directly with Hilton can earn Points for hotel stays and experiences money can't buy. With the free Hilton Honors app, guests can book their stay, select their room, check in, unlock their door with a Digital Key and check out, all from their smartphone. Visit stories.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.
About Travel with Purpose
Travel with Purpose is Hilton’s Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy to advance responsible travel and tourism globally. Through Travel with Purpose, we seek to create positive environmental and social impact across our operations, supply chain and communities. We track, analyze and report the impact of Hilton’s portfolio of hotels through LightStay, our award-winning ESG performance measurement and management system. Travel with Purpose capitalizes on Hilton’s global scale to serve as an engine of opportunity in the communities where we operate and pave the way to a net-zero future. Our strategy aligns with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Learn more about Travel with Purpose at https://esg.hilton.com/.
About Hilton Global Foundation
The Hilton Global Foundation is Hilton’s primary international philanthropic arm. The Foundation is a nonprofit established in the U.S. and is a registered 501(c)3 charitable organization. The Foundation awards grants, in alignment with Hilton’s Travel with Purpose 2030 Goals, that have a positive impact on travel destinations around the world. Foundation grants are awarded throughout the year in accordance with tax and legal requirements. Learn more about the Hilton Global Foundation at hiltonglobalfoundation.hilton.com.