Preserving our planet’s natural resources and protecting the environment are crucial to ensuring we maintain the beauty of destinations across the world for generations to come. With tourism hotspots becoming increasingly crowded and at risk from over-tourism, finding ways to reduce waste, cut greenhouse gases and drive positive impact in communities across the world is critical. That is why last year, Hilton committed to cutting its environmental footprint in half and doubling its investment in social impact by 2030.
To have a real impact, we all need to work together and do our bit to make a difference – as businesses, as households and as individuals. Going on holiday is no exception, so here are six simple steps you can take to help make your trip more sustainable:
- Be mindful of the ocean. The chemicals in some sun creams can have a harmful impact on the environment and can cause coral bleaching. If you’re going to be swimming in the sea, make sure you pick a sun cream which is coral-friendly. Watch out for ingredients such as oxybenzone and octinoxate, which can damage marine life.
- Consider travelling off-season. Many popular tourist hotspots can become extremely busy in high season, which can negatively impact local infrastructure, wildlife and communities. If you can, consider travelling outside of peak travel seasons. This can help reduce the impact of your trip, not to mention reducing the cost of travel, and making it more enjoyable to explore the top sights!
- Say no to plastic. Every year, a staggering eight million tons of plastic end up in our oceans. Investing in a reusable water bottle made from eco-friendly materials is a simple way to help curb your plastic waste while on holiday. If you’re flying, take your bottle through airport security empty, and then fill it up in departures. Many public spaces such as museums have complimentary water stations, so keep an eye out for them throughout your trip.
- Travel sustainably. When you’re on holiday, pick a more sustainable mode of transport such as a bike. Not only can it help keep emissions low and your heart healthy, but you may even find you get to see more of the city than if you went by car. All Canopy by Hilton hotels offer free bikes, and Hilton London Bankside has bamboo bikes available for guests to use.
- Select sustainable food options. Making small, simple changes to the way we eat can have a huge impact on the environment. Hilton is the first hotel brand to sign up to the Cool Food Pledge, committing to collectively cut food-related greenhouse gas emissions by 25 percent by 2030. This doesn’t mean compromising on taste but simply creating more plant-rich dishes and using more locally sourced ingredients.
- Reduce your energy use. Turning off the lights and air conditioning when you leave a hotel room will significantly reduce the hotel’s carbon footprint.
To learn more about Hilton’s journey to redefine sustainable travel through its Travel with Purpose 2030 Goals, please visit cr.hilton.com.
About Travel with Purpose
Travel with Purpose is Hilton’s corporate responsibility strategy to redefine and advance sustainable travel globally. By 2030, we plan to double our investment in social impact and cut our environmental footprint by half. We track, analyze and report our environmental and social impact at each of Hilton’s more than 6,100 hotels through LightStay, our award-winning performance management system. Travel with Purpose capitalizes on Hilton’s global scale to catalyze local economic growth; respect human rights; invest in people and local communities; and preserve our planet by reducing our impact on natural resources. Our strategy aligns with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Visit cr.hilton.com to learn more.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company with a portfolio of 22 world-class brands comprising nearly 7,400 properties and more than 1.1 million rooms, in 124 countries and territories. Dedicated to fulfilling its founding vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality, Hilton has welcomed more than 3 billion guests in its more than 100-year history, earned a top spot on Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For list and been recognized as a global leader on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices for six consecutive years. Hilton has introduced several industry-leading technology enhancements to improve the guest experience, including Digital Key Share, automated complimentary room upgrades and the ability to book confirmed connecting rooms. Through the award-winning guest loyalty program Hilton Honors, the more than 173 million members who book directly with Hilton can earn Points for hotel stays and experiences money can't buy. With the free Hilton Honors app, guests can book their stay, select their room, check in, unlock their door with a Digital Key and check out, all from their smartphone. Visit stories.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.
About Canopy by Hilton
Canopy by Hilton delivers elevated, boutique hotel experiences that celebrate the best of the neighborhood. Inviting, sophisticated design, bespoke food & beverage and crafted touchpoints deliver a locally inspired, high-end and welcoming stay. The Canopy portfolio includes 40 open properties around the globe with more than 30 under development across 17 countries and territories. Experience Canopy by Hilton by booking at canopybyhilton.com or through the industry-leading Hilton Honors app. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits. Learn more about Canopy by Hilton at stories.hilton.com/canopybyhilton, and follow the brand on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest.
About Hilton Hotels & Resorts
For over a century, Hilton Hotels & Resorts has set the benchmark for hospitality around the world, providing new product innovations and services to meet guests' evolving needs. With more than 600 hotels across six continents, Hilton Hotels & Resorts properties are located in the world’s most sought-after destinations for guests who know that where they stay matters. Experience a positive stay at Hilton Hotels & Resorts by booking at hiltonhotels.com or through the industry-leading Hilton Honors app. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits. Learn more about Hilton Hotels & Resorts at stories.hilton.com/hhr, and follow the brand on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.