Homemade Baked Beans Skillet & Egg
FYR Short North, Hilton Columbus Downtown
According to Executive Chef Sebastian La Rocca, homemade baked beans, with an egg and toasted sourdough is a delicious dish for a cold morning.
"This dish is awesome for a winter breakfast or brunch, the beans with the tomato and egg is a yummy combination."
“This dish is awesome for a winter breakfast or brunch, the beans with the tomato and egg is a yummy combination,” La Rocca said. “Dipping the toasted sourdough into it is like heaven and reminds me my time [working] in London. It’s a dish that makes you feel comfortable — food for the soul!”
- 1 can of white beans
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- ½ white onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 slices of bacon (cut in small batons)
- ½ red bell pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp of sweet paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pieces of celery chopped
- ½ tsp American mustard
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp of chopped green onions for decoration
- Drain white beans and washed, set aside.
- In a medium Hot pan add the add bacon with a small amount of oil. Render fat and cook until crispy.
- Add vegetables. Sauté 3-4 minutes until tender
- Add all remaining ingredients. Cook medium low for 25-30 minutes or until tomatoes have broken down, add salt and pepper to taste
- Add the beans to small cast iron or small container that can go to the oven, crack an egg in each and get then in the oven 450 f for 5 min till the egg is cooked
- Toast the sourdough bread. Cut sourdough into 3 equal slices. Add bread on top of skillet. Garnish with scallions.
Hilton Chefs Across the U.S. Share Their Favorite Winter Comfort Foods
This recipe is part of our series showcasing what’s popular in cities across the United States during the winter months.