McLean, Va. - Hilton (NYSE: HLT) announced that its centennial year featured record-breaking growth, awards for its inclusive workplace culture, and continued recognition of positive community impact.
“Throughout the last 100 years, Hilton has had a tremendous positive impact on billions of lives across the globe,” said Christopher J. Nassetta, president & chief executive officer, Hilton. “As we look toward the future, we will continue to prioritize sustainable and inclusive growth, enabling us to further strengthen the collective impact we have on the people and communities we serve.”
In 2019, Hilton achieved 6.6% net unit growth by adding nearly 470 hotels and reaching 6,110 properties globally with more than 971,000 rooms in 119 countries and territories. The company also grew its development pipeline to more than 387,000 rooms across 15 of its brands, supported by more than 116,000 rooms approved in 72 countries and territories. In addition, Hilton achieved a new construction start record of nearly 87,000 rooms.
“Hilton’s growth and performance are a testament to our resilient business model,” said Kevin Jacobs, chief financial officer, Hilton. “In addition to our record-breaking growth across approvals, construction starts and net units, we are delivering on our commitment to serve any guest, anywhere in the world, for any travel need.”
Record Growth: Effect on Economies
- Opened more luxury properties than in any previous year in its 100-year history, adding 11 hotels across Hilton’s luxury brands Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, LXR Hotels & Resorts and Conrad Hotels & Resorts
- Unveiled Signia by Hilton, a dynamic meetings-and-events-focused brand that will transform the industry for meeting professionals and sophisticated business travelers, located in top urban and resort destinations including Orlando, Atlanta and Indianapolis
- Expanded presence in Africa to more than 100 hotels trading or under development, including bringing two new brands to Africa with the Hampton by Hilton Sandton Grayson and the Canopy by Hilton Cape Town Longkloof
- Opened the 2,500th Hampton by Hilton and grew the brand pipeline to the largest ever; Tru by Hilton also continued its rapid growth, reaching more than 115 open hotels since its 2016 launch
- LXR Hotels & Resorts debuted in Europe and the Americas with The Biltmore Mayfair, LXR Hotels & Resorts and Zemi Beach House Hotel & Spa – LXR Hotels & Resorts respectively; Motto by Hilton reached 10 hotels under development
- Homewood Suites by Hilton celebrated its 500th property opening, first hotel in the Caribbean and 30th anniversary of the brand; Home2 Suites by Hilton opened its 300th property; Embassy Suites by Hilton marked its 35th anniversary
Travel with Purpose: Effect on Communities
- Launched The Hilton Effect Foundation, dedicated to creating a better world to travel
- Named the global industry leader in sustainability on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI), the most prestigious ranking for corporate responsibility
- Recognized as the only hospitality company on Fortune’s Change the World list for the second year in a row
- Named to climate change “A-List” by the environmental impact nonprofit CDP
- Expanded decade-long soap recycling program, already the largest in the hospitality industry, to more than 5,300 properties in 70 countries and territories
- Exceeded Open Doors pledge to connect, prepare or employ one million young people by 2019
- Invested in local communities by contributing nearly 550,000 volunteering hours at nearly 10,500 events and expanding food donation initiative to all Hilton managed hotels in the U.S. and Canada
Customer Innovations: Effect on Guests
- Welcomed 178 million guests at its properties worldwide and the 100 millionth Hilton Honors member, growing the award-winning loyalty program by 21% to more than 103 million members at year-end
- Launched a first-of-its-kind travel and hospitality partnership with Lyft, allowing Hilton Honors members to earn and redeem Hilton Honors Points when they ride with Lyft
- Achieved record numbers of package redemptions through the Hilton Honors Experiences Platform, and hosted intimate music events via an expanded partnership with Live Nation, the world’s leading live entertainment company
- Partnered with iHeartRadio to allow guests to stream live radio stations, thousands of music playlists and podcasts directly from their TVs through Hilton’s high-tech Connected Room guest technology platform
- Became the first hospitality company to participate in research aboard the International Space Station, when the DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie became the first food baked in space inside a prototype oven as part of a landmark microgravity experiment
World’s Best Workplace: Effect on Team Members
- Named #1 Best Company to Work for in the U.S. by Fortune magazine and Great Place to Work®
- Ranked #2 World’s Best Workplace, appearing on Fortune magazine and Great Place to Work’s® annual list of the 25 World’s Best Workplaces for the fourth consecutive year
- Recognized by Great Place to Work® in 17 countries and 3 regions including: Argentina #1, Italy #1, Peru #1, Saudi Arabia #1, Turkey #1, United States #1, China #2, Asia #3, United Arab Emirates #3, United Kingdom #3, Australia #3, Mexico #4, Colombia #4, Netherlands #7, Europe #10, Latin America #11, Germany #12, Brazil #14, India #16, Canada #29
- Named #1 workplace in the U.S. for Parents and Women; #2 workplace for Millennials by Great Place to Work® and Fortune magazine
- Named #4 Top 50 Company for Diversity by DiversityInc and received a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index for the seventh consecutive year
- Celebrated 100th anniversary with more than 420,000 Team Members** and created more than 25,000 new jobs worldwide***
- Achieved Operation: Opportunity five-year target of hiring 30,000 veterans, military spouses and caregivers, and expanded military-friendly commitment by pledging to make 25,000 additional hires by 2025, while also enhancing training and development opportunities
- Expanded family-friendly benefits including an extension to parental leave and an industry-first partnership with Milk Stork to enable Team Members to easily ship or carry breast milk home to their babies while traveling for work
To learn more about Hilton, please visit newsroom.hilton.com.
*Industry data from STR
** Corporate, owned, managed and franchised employees globally
***As a result of opening properties across Hilton’s portfolio
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company with a portfolio of 18 world-class brands comprising more than 6,100 properties with more than 971,000 rooms, in 119 countries and territories. Dedicated to fulfilling its mission to be the world’s most hospitable company, Hilton welcomed more than 3 billion guests in its 100-year history, earned a top spot on the 2019 World’s Best Workplaces list, and was named the 2019 Global Industry Leader on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices. Through the award-winning guest loyalty program Hilton Honors, more than 103 million members who book directly with Hilton can earn Points for hotel stays and experiences money can’t buy, plus enjoy instant benefits, including digital check-in with room selection, Digital Key, and Connected Room. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company with a portfolio of 22 world-class brands comprising nearly 7,300 properties and more than 1.1 million rooms, in 123 countries and territories. Dedicated to fulfilling its founding vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality, Hilton has welcomed more than 3 billion guests in its more than 100-year history, earned a top spot on Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For list and been recognized as a global leader on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices for six consecutive years. Hilton has introduced several industry-leading technology enhancements to improve the guest experience, including Digital Key Share, automated complimentary room upgrades and the ability to book confirmed connecting rooms. Through the award-winning guest loyalty program Hilton Honors, the more than 165 million members who book directly with Hilton can earn Points for hotel stays and experiences money can't buy. With the free Hilton Honors app, guests can book their stay, select their room, check in, unlock their door with a Digital Key and check out, all from their smartphone. Visit stories.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.